Town of Eagle Lake, Maine - Inc 1911 - Logo The History of Eagle Lake, Maine Logo
Town of Eagle Lake, Maine - Inc 1911 - Logo
Town of Eagle Lake, Maine - Inc 1911 - Logo
Map of Eagle Lake, Maine Button
Businesses
Chamber Button
Event Calendar Button
Contact Us Button
Guest Book Button
The History of Eagle Lake Button
Home Page Button
Industrial Park Button
Eagle Lake Town Office Button
Photo Album Button
Recreation Button
Services Button
For Sale Button

  • 1839 - In January of 1839 a 200-man posse, led by Sheriff Hastings Strickland, noted a large number of white headed eagles in the vicinity of the lake in T16 R7, so they named the lake Eagle Lake.
  • 1840 - The first settler, Sefroi Nadeau, settled in the Eagle Lake area.
  • 1844 - Zebulon Bradley was assigned to mark out the township's first settlement lots.
  • 1856 - Eagle Lake was organized as a plantation.
  • 1864 - It is reported that Didyme Simard shot and killed the first deer seen in the territory.
  • 1866-1870 - Somewhere between these years the first school house was built. At this time there were 128 school age children, out of which 35 attended during the summer session.
  • 1870 - The population had increased by 24% (143 people, 22 families) mostly due to immigration.
  • 1870 - The first sawmill was constructed.
  • 1878 - All but seven of the town's forty-two settlement lots had been contracted or deeded.
  • 1879 - There were three sawmills and one gristmill in Eagle Lake.
  • 1886 - James Seymour opened the first variety store and William Brown opened the first drug store and post office.
  • 1888 - Clement Dubay opened Eagle Lake's first hotel, the Eagle Lake Exchange, and John M. Brown opened the second variety store.
  • 1890 - Census report lists 32 families and 233 inhabitants, which is a 62 percent increase over 1870.
  • 1895 - Male teachers were earning $5 per week and female teachers were earning $4 per week.
  • 1896 - Voters approved $150 for the construction of a new schoolhouse and $300 for a bridge over the Fish River. Residents were allowed to pay their taxes by performing road labor at the rate of 15 cents per man per hour and the same rate for horses.
  • 1900 - The annual appropriation for the repairs of roads and bridges was $300.
  • 1900 - There were three schools in Eagle Lake.
  • 1901 - Eagle Lake's manufacturing element consisted of one sawmill, one lumber mill, one shingle mill, two blacksmiths, and one carpenter.
  • 1902 - Fish River Railroad Company began construction of the line through Eagle Lake.
  • 1902 - Fish River Manufacturing Company opened a mill in Eagle Lake.
  • 1903 - The first clothing store was opened and operated by F. F. Daniels.
  • 1903 - Allston B. Cushing, partner in the Fish River Manufacturing Company, built his own mill in Plaisted.
  • 1903 - Small pox epidemic struck Eagle Lake.
  • 1904 - Main Street and St. Albert Street were laid out as town ways.
  • 1904 - The largest number of hotels were in business this year - 4.
  • 1904 - The town's first barber, Joseph Savory, began this year.
  • 1905 - Construction of Northern Maine General Hospital began.
  • 1905 - St. Mary's Parish was blessed by Vicar-General Edward Hurley, assisted by Father Joseph S. Marcoux and his assistance, Father John Fahey.
  • 1905 - The Cushing plant expanded to meet increasing demand.
  • 1906 - Four sisters arrived to take charge of the "finished hospital"
  • 1907 - Father Marcoux was assigned the first pastor of St. Mary's Parish.
  • 1907 - St. Dennis Street was laid out as a town way.
  • 1907 - The town's first sidewalks were constructed at a cost of $800.
  • 1908 - Standard Wood Company opened a plant to process kindling wood for urban dwellers to use to light coal fires in their homes.
  • 1908 - Telephones were installed as early as this year. The company was Eagle Lake Telephone Company.
  • 1909 - There were five schools in Eagle Lake. (Longfellow School - 1896, Dirigo School - 1900, Stetson School - 1887, Smith School - 1904, and Washington School - 1900)
  • 1909 - St. Mary's Parish was ready for dedication.
  • 1909 - The town's debt was $709.56.
  • 1909 - The largest number of general stores were in business this year - 10
  • 1910 - The largest number of grocery stores were in business this year - 7
  • 1911 - Eagle Lake was incorporated as a town.
  • 1912 - St. Maurice Street was laid out as a town way and appropriations were made for Devoe Brook Road.
  • 1912 - Eagle Lake's first movie house, located in the old Fish River Manufacturing log-hauler building, started running a nightly moving picture show.
  • 1914 - The Cushing plant was destroyed by a fire and never rebuilt.
  • 1915 - The average annual salary for a male teacher was $418.50 and for a female teacher $325.
  • 1916 - The Eagle Lake Mill Company, owned by Joseph Labbe, Eva Labbe, and J. A. Laliberte, opened.
  • 1916 - St. Mary's Convent School was opened in late October with Sister Marie Catherine de Bolonge and Sister Marie-Dominique du Rosaire in charge of the school. This school included 1st through 3rd grades.
  • 1916 - Appropriations were made for Gilmore Brook Road.
  • 1916 - Eagle Lake joined with Winterville and Wallagrass in hiring a superintendent of schools. Vital J. L'Abbe was selected to fill the position.
  • 1917 - Lakeview School was constructed at the foot of the lake.
  • 1918 - The Spanish Flu hit and for the first time, Northern Maine General Hospital was filled to capacity.
  • 1919 - The Standard Wood Company's plant opened in 1908 closed this year.
  • 1919 - Convent Road was maintained as a public way.
  • 1919 - Adolphus Cyr opened the town's only livery stable.
  • 1920 - The annual appropriation surpassed the $1,000 level.
  • 1921 - Dr. William V. Kirk arrived to Northern Maine General Hospital. For the next thirty years, the hospital would rarely be empty.
  • 1921 - Sly Brook Road and Slab Alley Road were maintained as public ways.
  • 1921 - Saul Michaud opened the first sporting camp in the area.
  • 1922 - It was decided to run the school year during the fall and winter seasons rather than the spring and summer as had been done in the past.
  • 1924 - J. W. Boyle opened a bowling alley. This was only opened for one year.
  • 1924 - Eagle Lake Telephone Company merged with the year-old Northern Telegraph Company to become the Eagle Lake Telephone, Northern.
  • 1928 - Fort Kent Electric Company ran power lines through Eagle Lake.
  • 1929 - The annual appropriation for repairs of roads and bridges was $2,500.
  • 1929 - The town's debt was over $4,000.
  • 1929 - The Penobscot Lake Lumber Mils closed its Eagle Lake operation
  • 1930 - 1935 - Nearly half of the business in Eagle Lake closed due to the Depression.
  • 1931 - First Selectmen, Tom Fournier recommended that the town discontinue taking properties on tax liens since it already had more than it could hope to sell.
  • 1931 - The town voted to accept road labor as payment for taxes.
  • 1934 - George Martin opened a restaurant which became one of the region's best night spots.
  • 1934 - Milton Tucker opened a general store. This store was opened until 1969, making it the longest running business in the town's history.
  • 1938 - Town officials could no longer make head nor tail out of municipal affairs.
  • 1939 - Emergency Municipal Finance Board took over municipal affairs.
  • 1943 - Nearly a quarter of the population was in uniform or working in some war industry.
  • 1943 - It was determined that the town had thirty-one claims adding up to $30,174.37. Of this amount, $13,133.71 would be allowed. The claims that were not allowed had to be absorbed by the claimant.
  • 1944 - The town assumed control of municipal affairs.
  • 1944 - Furlong was appointed the town's first town manager.
  • 1944 - The town moved to the selectmen-manager plan.
  • 1948 - Eagle Lake joined Fort Kent, Wallagrass, Winterville, New Canada, St. Francis and St. John to form a community school district.
  • 1949 - Community High School opened. This was the first time that every child had the opportunity to receive a high school education.
  • 1950 - The Eagle Lake Lumber Mill was incorporated.
  • 1951 - The Fort Kent Hospital opened and Dr. Aungst left to become a surgeon there. The Eagle Lake Hospital had to close when a doctor was not available.
  • 1951 - The last meat store closed.
  • 1951 - Eagle Lake constructed a firehouse/town office/town garage.
  • 1953 - The federal government filed tax liens against the Eagle Lake Lumber Mill.
  • 1954 - It was decided to close the rural schools and bus the children to the Convent and Dirigo schools.
  • 1955 - The federal, state, and local government all held tax liens against the Eagle Lake Lumber Mill.
  • 1955 - The Water and Sewer District was formed by an act of the legislature.
  • 1956 - The Eagle Lake Lumber Mill went through bankruptcy proceedings.
  • 1957 - The mill was sold to John T. Batts of Grand Rapids, Michigan. Batts reopened the mill to manufacture coat-hanger blanks.
  • 1957 - The last dry goods store closed.
  • 1961 - Batts sold his Eagle Lake operation to Thomas Pinkham.
  • 1962 - Eagle Lake joined with the members of the community school district to form School Administrative District #27.
  • 1965 - The Eagle Lake Elementary School opened.
  • 1967 - The Franciscan sisters left Northern Maine General Hospital to concentrate there efforts at the Fort Kent Hospital.
  • 1967 - Eagle Lake had an act passed in the legislature for the community to maintain both a medical and social care institution. This was essentially the birth of the present institution.
  • 1968 - The hydrant system was installed in town.
  • 1970 - A camper park on the east side of the lake opened.
  • 1971 - Ground-breaking ceremonies for a new St. Mary's Parish.
  • 1972 - Eagle Lake Development Corporation began its first project -- low income housing.
  • 1972 - The new church was dedicated by Bishop Gerety.
  • 1973 - The town moved from a three-man Board of Selectmen to a five-man Board of Selectmen.
  • 1973 - Construction began on a $1 million complex containing sixty beds (for nursing care), three dining rooms (for residents, sisters, and staff), kitchen, laundry, physical therapy rooms. This is the current Northern Maine General Hospital building.
  • 1973 - Eagle Lake Development Corporation began its second project -- sixteen units of senior citizens housing.
  • 1975 - Northern Maine General Hospital opened its doors.
  • 1976 - Northern National Bank opened.
  • 1977 - The town clerk's position was changed from an elected position to an appointed position.
  • 1977 - The Eagle Lake Hardwood Mill closed.
  • 1978 - ELW&SD constructs a second reservoir (250,000 Gals) for more adequate fire protection with an additional seven hydrants.
  • 1978 - Eagle Lake Development completes main street and Lakeview Elderly Housing complex.
  • 1978 - Eagle Lake and surrounding towns designated a Medically Underserved Area and Health Professional Shortage Area. Allows community to receive Federal funding and apply for physicians throught the Corp.
  • 1978 - Aroostook County Action Program (ACAP) receives a Federal Grant to provide services to Eagle Lake and surrounding communities.
  • 1979 - Eagle Lake Health Center started providing medical services by utilizing a mobile van. Later in the year utilized space at the Franciscan Home, local boarding home.
  • 1979 - Dr. Ken Damatto, recruited from the National Service Corp.
  • 1980 - Eagle Lake Health Center constructed and open for patients.
  • 1981 - Industrial Park is open for business.
  • 1982 - ELW&SD extends the water main along Carter Street.
  • 1983 - Powell Memorial Center opens its doors to provide a home for people with mental retardation.
  • 1984 - Public sewer system is constructed and operational.
  • 1985 - Philip Blanchette Youth Home opens its doors to at risk adolescent boys
  • 1985 - ELW&SD upgrades 8600 feet of water main linie to ductile iron pipe.
  • 1985 - Open the Fort Kent Health Center and recruited Dr. George Conover to staff that site.
  • 1986 - Northern Maine Credit Union opened its doors on September 26 with its office in the Boarding home of Northern Maine General Hospital.
  • 1986 - Winterville Boys Group Home opens its doors.
  • 1988 - Northern Maine General Hospital opens the Brooks waiver Home a four person adult foster home.
  • 1989 - Multi-purpose school building constructed by the Eagle Lake Development Corporation.
  • 1989 - Senior Citizens building opens its doors.
  • 1990 - New municipal building officially opens its doors.
  • 1990 - Old Mill Marina Lodge & Restaurant opens its doors.
  • 1990 - ACAP turns over administrative responsibilities to a newly formed not for profit Corporation Fish River Rural Health
  • 1990 - Dr. Paul Pelletier, a native of Wallagrass recruited to staff the Eagle Lake Health Center.
  • 1991 - Northern Maine Credit Union merged with Fraser Credit Union.
  • 1993 - Northern Maine General Hospital opens the Devoe Brook and Kennedy Waiver homes.
  • 1994 - Old Mill Marina Lodge & Restaurant burns to the ground.
  • 1994 - ELW&SD constructs a slow sand filtration treatment plant along with the replacement of 1640 feet of water main. Water meters are installed for all residential and commercial water users.
  • 1995 - The Northern Aroostook Solid Waste Association is formed and a transfer station is built on Convent Road above the old dump.
  • 1996 - Cecilia Pinter, Physician Assistant, hired to help out Dr. Paul Pelletier in Eagle Lake.
  • 1997 - ELW&SD constructs a public sewer system in Soldier Pond.
  • 1997 - Powell Memorial Center is converted to the Floyd and Maimie Powell Adult Waiver homes.
  • 1997 - Northern Maine General Hospital establishes Families First a therapeutic foster care program.
  • 1997 - Addition of a new wing to the Eagle Lake Health Center.
  • 1998 - Linda Hicks, PHysician Assistant, hired to help out Dr. Conover in Fort Kent.
  • 1999 - ELW&SD completes installation of a new aeration system at its wastewater treatment plant.
  • 1999 - Giselle's Garden and Greenhouse opens its doors.
  • 2000 - Fraser Credit Union changes its name to Norstate Federal Credit Union
  • 2001 - The Eagle Lake Health Center, the State of Maine and the Town of Eagle Lake finish construction of a 5,180 foot therapeutic pool building.
  • 2001 - Dr. Peter deSchweinitz, a National Health Corp Scholar hired to help out at the Eagle Lake and Fort Kent Health Centers.
  • 2002 - New playground equipment is completed at the elementary school.
  • 2003 - Voters accept the remaining one mile of Sly-Brook Road as a town way.
  • 2003 - Eagle Lake Development Corp. begins preliminary work on a 15-unit affordable housing project.

This page is maintained by:
SJV Wireless, Inc. 2003-2006

SJV Wireless, Inc. is owned and operated by:
Alan M. Susee